MUSIC FOR THE SOUL (under construction while Charles learns more about HTML)

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bitter Defeat


Well, tennis didn't go as planned. Heather and I didn't play too poorly, but I really don't think either of us played up to our potential. My serves looked like they did back in the 7th grade and I allowed myself to be intimidated on occasion. The best part was that we made visible progress. We lost our first game 3-8. We won the second game (I don't remember the score; probably 8-5) on Friday night which meant we would come back and finish the tournament on Saturday. Saturday morning we won 8-5 and then, in what I believe was the semi-finals, we lost 8-8. The tie breaker went 5-4 in their favor. The worst part was it was the same team that spanked us 8-3 the first time. I know we could have beaten them. I had so many mind-bogglingly terrible shots. But! At least we could see that we were improving as a team. Maybe if I do it again in the Fall (do they do it in the Fall?) I'll be that much more prepared. I added this particular picture, because that is exactly where I felt I was making contact with the ball. Not in the sweet spot, but rather at the tip of my racquet. I must say, I don't mean to do nothing but complain. I had a great time and really enjoyed getting to know Heather better. That's the most important aspect of any tennis match for me. It's probably also great to be humbled!

1 comment:

BJ said...

Well... while you may not have won, I think the competition was good for you. Tennis is a mind game. Almost as much so as chess. Sounds like you got the upper hand in the end, even if you didn't get the victory.