MUSIC FOR THE SOUL (under construction while Charles learns more about HTML)

Monday, October 6, 2008






VS.














It's about time I blogged again about BYU Football. This game was a joke in a way. We beat them severely in so many aspects of the game--in every way except the score. And how were we rewarded? We dropped in the poles. Oh well. It was FUN! Definitely a game worth driving all the way to Seattle for. It reminded me of the good ol' days going to Seattle with Doug Call to watch European exhibition soccer games. We had a fun group of people in two cars. We stayed with relatives of Trent Boulter. We ate good food, saw cool things, we were sworn at quite a bit and BYU brought one ROCKIN' band to the stadium for our tailgate party. I couldn't believe it. Washington had quite a tailgating crowd, bigger than BYU's home tailgating crowd, but BYU's AWAY tailgaiting crowd rocked my world. I wish we had gotten there earlier for food and what not. There were a few cool things in the stadium.

First, one of their players got knocked out cold and they brought the ambulance on to the field. The cool part there of course was that he wasn't paralyzed, but at one point we heard the crowd booing and we noticed on the other side of the stadium that a woman was being held back by security. We thought it was some freak trying to steal the show and then realized the crowd was booing because it was his mother who wanted to see him. We joined in the booing and then all cheered when they decided to let her go. It was tender. I cried. Most did, I think, or at least had GREAT respect for the graveness of the circumstance. The second coolest thing was that at half time the Washington band played the Cougar Fight Song! We went nuts! I thought that was great sportsmanship and heard that they've been trying to get the BYU band to do that at our home games for the other schools and they won't. Jerks. The third cool thing was at the beginning. We thought we were sitting in the BYU section because we were surrounded by what looked to be a couple thousand cougar fans and we were proud of the support around us and all down the sidelines as far as the eyes could see there were cougar fans. Then, when the team came out, the entire other endzone (a full sized endzone compared with our endzone which was just temporary bleachers) rose and cheered. We couldn't believe it. It was like a home game practically as far as our loudness went. I estimated over ten thousand BYU fans and later heard on the news that it was just past 11,000. Wow! The End since I'm tired of typing.

3 comments:

Jimboborazzala said...

Did you really cry? Or are you being hyperbolic like when people say "There wasn't a dry eye in the room" even though it's entirely plausible that someone was born without tear ducts and COULDN'T cry no matter how sad/tender/inspiring the scene?

Charles said...

Ha ha! Well, wet stuff came from eyes. It's possible at that moment that buildup from Seattle humidity mixed with the dust buildup in the corners of my eyes and gooed down my face at the same moment that their player got really hurt. I almost never cry, so I suppose that anything could have happened.

Meridith said...

"...buildup from Seattle humidity mixed with the dust buildup in the corners of my eyes [...] gooed down my face"

That sounds absolutely disgusting. I hope that's not what happened.