MUSIC FOR THE SOUL (under construction while Charles learns more about HTML)

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Vote for Mitt '08!!!




Question #1

So, am I a Mitt fan? Well, yes. Am I also a Rudy Giuliani fan? Well, yes. I've been to one of his speeches in person and really like the guy. Always have. My biggest question (and I would like some input here from all you patriotic people out there) is how educated should one make themselves in order to make a good judgment call. I suppose the extremes for this are complete ignorance (just thinking that Mitt's a Mormon so he'll do the best job), and complete immersion of one's self (becoming best buds with each and every candidate to know their innermost beliefs and intents). Neither one is good. I have a few other things in life I should pay attention to right now like school, work, family, church.... But at the same time I want to not only say I like Mitt, but be able to give good solid reasons that he's the Man for the Job and Hilary needs to make a good contribution to society and be a stay-at-home mother for Chelsea. Part of it, no doubt, is already being familiar with the issues which I mostly am.

Question #2


Once I've finally decided that Brother Romney (or whoever) is the right man for the job, what is the most effective way (or ways) of helping that candidate run? Sure, I just ordered my Mitt Romney bumper sticker online yesterday and gave him $25 for his campaign, but what else can I do? I could send spam or call random people. That might be as counterproductive as anything. And what do you do in a state that is already quite Republican? Should I vacation up to Oregon and preach there until the fiery brimstones start breaking through my umbrella?

7 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Okay--I do believe that everyone should be educated about all of the top candidates even if there is a member of the church running. He may not have much of a chance--that remains to be seen. However, I was surprised when my non-member aunt in Texas (when I was there for a family reunion) told me she really liked what Romney had to say and wanted me to send her more info! So, who knows? As far as helping in Utah, you could call his campaign headquarters and see what they need. We must do everything possible to prevent another Clinton white house era!

Jimboborazzala said...

How educated should make yourself? Hmmm...well, at the risk of being threatened with cyber pitchforks, I think that you have to go beyond listening to Sean Hannity spew forth his venom-laced cocktails of evil. Listening to Monsieur Mauvais is not educating oneself. You have to listen to Al Franken spew forth his venom-laced cocktails of evil and then scream aloud to the heavens above, "Where's the straight talk express?" to which the heavens will respond, "It broke down when McCain grovelled before Jerry Falwell to appease the base" Anywho, I think the best thing you can do is follow along in the newspaper but then talk to people about the subject matter. I find that talking out loud about political topics helps me fidn out what my views are.

As for how much you should dedicate yourself to one candidate, I don't think I'll ever be able to fully get behind one candidate, because they all turn so repulsive. Romeny hopping into bed with the NRA just to get their votes, McCain derailing the Express, and Guiliani looking like his face has mysteriously turned to plastic and become feminine (and the whole abortion business and the "he's a dictator behind the scenes who just wants raw power" business). On the other side you have no-experience Obama, Ol' Battleaxe, and Read My Lips, More Taxes Edwards. It's much easier for me to get behind a local candidate because they represent something more tangible to me i.e. they typically aren't the corrupt incumbent.

Wow, what a bitter rant. I'll talk policy if you want. I like talking policy.

Mustang Suzie said...

Charles, if you want to know what a Wii is, go to the Nintendo site and look for it. It's basically a video game that you play physically with your body. The player that represents you on the screen reacts the way you move your body. Your "paddle" has a wrist strap so you can be quite lively in your motions. Much better than sitting on the couch! Also, very user friendly because there are games you know like tennis and golf!

BJ said...

I think the best way to find out more about a candidate is to listen to them debate with each other. I wish there were more debates than there are. I wish they would all travel from city to city and debate in every town like they used to when the country didn't have TVs and Radios.

As far as how much you should get behind a candidate... well... there are two ways of doing it. 1. Money and 2. Time. Do what you feel like doing. But I'm with Doug, I have a hard time getting behind any politician these days. They all seem fake to me. Oh well... one of these days.

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh said...

Charles,
I am not voting for Mitt based solely on his religion. You can't trust Mormons. That's all.

Anonymous said...

Mitt scares the hell out of me... That's all I can say. There's far too much wibble-wobble in his various platforms, especially with regard to things like, oh, abortion? And other social issues which the Church has been very clear on. He's a member, maybe his religion ultimately shouldn't inform his politics - separation of church and state - but he certainly should not be flip-flopping all over the place. I mean, traditional republican platforms? Where'd they go? That's what John Kerry did, I seem to recall... And I'm terrified by his crusader attitude - Yeah, let's slaughter all the bad guys! Wait, who are the again? I forget. Cause that's really working well right now, isn't it. What happened to seeking peaceful or gospel oriented solutions: the Lamanites converted the Gadianton robbers and got rid of them that way. The Nephites went up into the hills to try to wipe them out and instead got themselves killed. Which are we at the moment... Of course, I'm too far away to really be able to say much about the US political scene at the moment, but my own bits of fishing around make me (obviously at the moment) very, very nervous about Mitt. Mormon or not. Haha. I better stop my rant now, too, especially cause it's probably gonna tick you off...