MUSIC FOR THE SOUL (under construction while Charles learns more about HTML)

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe Company

My fellow 10 BYU capstoners and I are not professional pipe makers--in fact, we have never made a pipe in our lives--but we plan on working with PSCIPCO who has been making for over 40 years, to teach them how they can make pipe better. A daunting task? Oh my yes. On the first day we went on a plant tour and I came away laughing at they idea that we could help them at all. But after two more days of observation, I'm beginning to believe I can. The more I just sit and stare, the more I realize that...well, maybe I can't say what I want to because it could be proprietary in nature. Oh well, just rest assured that I believe we can reach our goal of saving them $500,000 in the next two months, and perhaps $2 million every year from here on out. How would THAT look on my resumé?

I wish I could take you all on a tour of the plant. It's a magical land--a land of enchantment if you will. It reminds me of the scenes where the Orks(sp?) in Lord of the Rings are down there in deep dark crevices of the earth making who knows what. There are lights in the plant, but really the only noticeable light is the orange glow of the molten iron, a few light rays penetrating the roof, and super bright flashes of blinding white light coming from when they add magnesium to the molten iron. All of the workers (myself included) look as scary as Orks and probably
smell worse when we come out of there. If any of you have questions on how to cast YOUR pipes better, give me a call. I'm cheap. I work for pizza.

2 comments:

BJ said...

I'll be interested in knowing if you succeed. That certainly would be a triumph. Good luck on that. (you'll probably need it.) ;-)

Mustang Suzie said...

Hey Charles, good for you! Is this your internship? Will you be working there all summer? How's your love life? Am I bugging you yet?

Good luck, Charles. We love ya!
Suzanne Taylor